Copyright © 2003-2011, Aishah Schwartz. Permission granted to circulate among private individuals, groups, or in not-for-profit publications in full text and subject title. All other rights reserved.

June 23, 2012

Dear Tech Support, welcome to the doorstep of hell

Click on image to view full size.
Every photo uploaded.

All tags entered.

All captions entered.

I removed one duplicate image to replace it with a file that had not been uploaded.

The new image completed uploading.

And the editing form hung.


Staring in disbelief at my screen I took a chance and clicked to save as a draft.

The page refreshed.

I went to my dashboard.

No draft.

No story.

On the 22nd, I went out in 100 degree weather, bought 17 newspapers, sat for two hours with a friend to get headline translations; laborious at best being that we struggled to find matching words to help the other understand what was being said, being that I do not speak Arabic and English is not the native language of my gracious friend.

Then after finally getting the photos uploaded, I had to go down the uploaded image list and compare each one to the matching stack of papers in front of me, find the match, look on the back for the number I had written on it, and then copy and paste the caption from the corresponding number of the translated text I had saved in notepad to copy and paste it over to the upload platform.

Then *poof* all was lost; again.

You know, even Blogger and Gmail and Yahoo save automatically as you work. Why can't this platform be programmed to function the same way? Why are users at constant threat of flat losing everything they've worked so diligently to achieve? 

I'm done.

Good night.

3:44 AM, Sunday, June 24, 2012.

P.S. -- I did not sleep yet (8:32AM). Instead I finished bringing the latest headlines out of my notebook and onto my laptop, re-sized today's photos for upload and made blog posts out of the photos for June 22 and 23. The news, like the clock, keeps running and the election result will be announced today (the 24th), so I did not want my work completely lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment